Tuesday, December 11, 2007

We should all watch Sesame Street

So, I really think we could all learn something from Sesame Street. We have been taping episodes so that we can just click play at whatever necessary time. I was cooking dinner and decided to keep Meredith occupied since she has given up her little afternoon nap she used to take when she gets home. She was really into the show and I was halfway listening while getting dinner together, enough to know that a main theme was our skin and how important it is for protecting us and we need to keep it clean and it might get a booboo sometimes...etc etc. Then my ears perked up when this segment started with a little boy narrating and they were showing a preschool classroom. It went something like this....
"Some of us have dark skin and some of us have light skin and there are colors everywhere inbetween. My skin is dark and Molly's skin is light (pan across the Benetton ad of colors of children). We decided to look at our skin under a magnifying glass. (Teacher passes out magnifying glasses). We noticed that we all have hair on our skin. There is more hair on the front of our arm than on the back of our arms. There is no hair on our palms. We all have little holes in our skin. So really, there is no difference in our skin at all."
I certainly didn't give this little segment justice in my paraphrasing, but I thought it was especially well done....not just for preschoolers, but for everyone! I have been really busy with work, year end assessments and the usual busy holiday season, but that just kindof made me stop and think for a minute. Big shout out to Sesame Street for such a great message!!

No comments: