Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Restaurant, what's that?

We have officially entered the no-restaurant zone with Meredith. We've been pushing it for awhile to where we could scarf down our food and somehow keep her fairly content through the meal by shoving goldfish at her, but she fully confirmed last night that there is no more sitting in a restaurant high chair for her. I actually made quite a lovely meal last night, but it was to take over to a good friend who recently had pretty serious surgery, so we decided to go out after we dropped it off. We were over by one of favorite old hangouts, Buffalos, and decided that wings sounded awesome. We barely sat down and got her into her chair before she was squirming and wanting out. She chewed on a few crayons, ate a few bites of her dinner and she quickly moved to the no way in heck am I staying in this chair phase, immediately into the I'm going to scream my head off if you make me sit here any longer, oh and by the way, I want to stand in the chair, not sit. It is a family restaurant, but I'm not going to let my child scream while we eat. So, Chris and I took turns taking her outside to let her run around since I had taken approximatley one bite of my meal when she lost it.
She did the same thing at the Mexican restaurant last weekend and my mom was nice enough to walk the child around outside while I finished eating.
Nothing apeases her...no toys, books, food, drink, nothing. I guess our days of attempting to go out as a family on occasion (mind you, we hardly go out as it is!) are over until she can calm down a bit more.
Oh, well. I guess that's life as a parent, right?

1 comment:

KCM said...

Welcome to the club! Jamie is starting to get squirmy in the high cahir these days, not to mention themess he makes. So we no longer take him out unless we are ready to eat as fast as a NASCAR team changes tires. Hang in there! Kelly